If you suffer from dry mouth, it’s not the end of the world. Dry mouth, a common condition that prevents saliva from producing in your mouth, affects millions of Americans today. But, the good news is, you can do something about it. There are several ways you can fight back dry mouth right at home and today we’re going to show you how.
• Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.
• Avoid caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee and some sodas. The caffeine in these drinks can dry out the mouth significantly.
• During meals, sip on water or sugar-free drinks. This can help make chewing and swallowing food much easier and even improve the taste of your food.
• Try chewing sugarless gum or sucking a sugar-free hard candy to stimulate saliva production and flow. Citrus, cinnamon and mint-flavored candies or gums are good choices.
• Avoid using tobacco or alcohol, both of which can dry out the mouth quickly.
• Using a humidifier at night can help keep the air in your bedroom moist, improving saliva production.
• If you suffer from dry mouth, eating spicy or salty foods can cause pain in your mouth, so it’s best to avoid them until a significant amount of saliva exists.
If these solutions don’t work for you, you may want to consider speaking with your doctor or dentist. Dry mouth can cause tooth decay and other dental problems if left untreated. Call our office today to speak with a member of our staff at 303-933-2273 to schedule an appointment.